Monday 7 November 2022

Homemaking Mondays: Frost and Touches of Light

 


Hello! 
How is your Monday? 
It's a cool -15C and windy here 
and there is light gentle snow falling. 
The fresh snow is blown up in big swirling gusts
 across the lake and through the trees.
Quite entertaining to just sit at the window 
with a cup of tea just watching.
It's calling for much colder for Monday
so feeling like hibernating.

Today I discovered some new pretty patterns 
in the frost in our sunroom. 
Do you like frost patterns?
I find them as interesting as watching the clouds
shift and change in the summer sky. 
Another aspect of winter that I love. 


As the cold and darkness of winter envelopes us.
It's lovely to add little touches of light
in amongst our daily life.
So, like a candle on the stove in the mornings
or a candle or lantern on a table. 
Scented or not it doesn't matter. 
What we are after is that gentle touch of light. 
As the sun rises later in the day
those little touches of light from candles or lamps
give a gentle rise to the day 
while we wait for the sun to shine.


One aspect of light that for Christians 
is that of the Word of God.
It is nice to rise in the morning to ponder on the 
things of the Lord.
To let His light shine on the path of our days. 

"Thy word is lamp unto my feet, 
and a light unto my path. "
-Psalm 119:105

"Neither do men light a candle,
and put it under a bushel,
but on a candlestick;
and it giveth light unto all 
that are in the house. "
-Matthew 5:15

A fun little project I'm about to embark on is to clean up 
this sweet set of girl lamp and music box.
They were my mother's and I have very fond memories 
of listening to the music and enjoying the lamp
on dark winter days. 
I've never seen anything else like them 
anywhere but they are kinda a fun childhood
memory to keep...and listen to if I'm puttering about 
my room. 



This week I also pulled out this globe 
that goes on top of a plant pot. 
I've not done well with growing plants in it
so I thought it might be 
better used as a candle globe instead. 
I have it sitting on my kitchen island counter
between the kitchen and dining area.
It provides a nice bit of light in the mornings 
or evenings as you pass by.


What do you like to do 
to add some extra touches of light to your home?

Thanks for dropping by! 
Love and Prayers,
Jennifer



1 comment:

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Hibernating sounds like a good plan! Haha!
I finally got up early enough one morning last week to need a light. I remembered that I wanted to try your idea of using candles in the morning. It was fun to light a couple candles and feel old fashioned. :)
Love those Bible verses! I also think of John chapter 1; Jesus is the light of the world!