Tuesday 15 November 2022

Homemaking Mondays: Cultured Butter and Stuffed Squash

 


Hello! 
I'm a bit late this week but have not forgotten. 
It's been a lovely week which started out with deep cold 
and has ended in a chinook.
This week I learned to make cultured butter.
You just add some buttermilk/yogurt/kefir to your cream
and set out on the counter for 24 hours.
Then you make butter. 
Next time I'll chill the cream first but it still turned out great.
I used a piece of flour-sack cloth instead of cheesecloth to drain 
out the buttermilk and it worked well.
The flour-sack cloth is much easier to wash.
I didn't mold the butter but am just cutting off chunks 
and setting it in a nice little bowl for use. 
I made some fresh buns and it was perfectly paired with the fresh butter.
Don't you just want to take a bite?


It dropped deep cold when the moon was full.
It is beautiful to go walking in the evening when the moon
is full and you don't need flashlights or lanterns.
Off in the trees the moonlight brightens the snow
and gives a gentle glow to the forest.


This past week I also started a new batch of vanilla.
My husband ordered some vanilla beans off of Amazon for me.
Now we wait.
This makes so much more vanilla for a much better price
then buying it at the store.
Some staple items at the store are just getting crazy pricey.


I found a sweet treasure at the free store this week.
This little cheese dish was just begging to come home with me.
I used some spoon butter that I condition my wooden utensils with
to rub into the bare wood of the base.
Now it's ready for some cheese or maybe a delicious little treat?


This week I also tried a new squash dish.
I made stuffed acorn squash and I must say it was delicious!
It was made with Italian sausage.
THIS recipe is a definite do over.
Not all the family loved it but that's ok.
It's so easy to just add it as a side for those that do.


I hope you are enjoying your week and perhaps
finding some new special things to add to your homemaking.

Love and Prayers,
Jennifer


PS I know some are having trouble with the e-mail subscription
I'm not sure what is wrong but I'm going to try to figure it out.
Well I found that Feedburner is no more...so I have added 
Follow.it to the sidebar and you can try using that
if you'd like to subscribe by e-mail.

3 comments:

Phoebes World said...

We have snow on the mountains here in So Cal..and the air is a bit nippy in the mornings.I really miss snowy winters.. but I guess a little trip up the mountain will suffice

Everything looks so delicious.. How scrummy does that sqush look..and I can jut taste the butter
I have never made my own vanilla... I think its about time I tried my hand

Have a great week...and stay warm

Phoebe x

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Oh your cultured butter looks delicious! I've never made cultured butter, but it does look easy and so good! I enjoy baked squash too, sometimes I do zucchini with a hamburger/rice mixture, and the family also loves that very much. We have had such cold weather here for 2 weeks. We got a little snow with the full moon, and next week more is expected. Tis the season! Making your own vanilla extract is a wonderful thing! So nice to enjoy :) Blessings to you and your family!

Sunshine Country said...

Cultured butter is the best! I have never had any that was homemade, but purchased some once that I really enjoyed. I hope someday I can try making my own.