Monday 25 September 2023

Homemaking Mondays: Cottagecore in the Home

 


Hello!
I pray you are enjoying your day.
It is damp, cold, and rainy here.
The clouds are low
and are backlighting the glowing trees.
I love this time of year because it still feels so bright
outside even with the dreary days.
Once the trees have shed their leaves
covering up the little critters that hibernate
and change the look of the forest once again.
Soon the colour will change to browns and muted greens
that is until the snow comes. 

I've been seeing a lot about cottage core design
around as of late.
It's always something I've enjoyed and have pondered
how it has come into my home.
I love the ideals behind the aesthetic.  
It makes spaces cozy, inviting, lived in, and welcoming.
It comes in so many different ways which 
brings in the uniqueness of each home and family.
I love how brings together those things that are older
and newer in a delightful melody. 
To have nature mixed in with the plants and flowers
at times birds and other animals (real and depicted). 


In the kitchen I love to have items 
I use all the time out on display 
where they are easily accessible and pretty.
To fill window spaces with plants and flowers.
Then I also love layering baskets 
just because I think it's pretty.

The view from the kitchen window 
is one of my favourite ones.
To be blessed to watch each day change
as I go about homemaking.
Below the fog is just lifting from the lake
as the sun comes up.
The frost is glistening on the far shore.
The light will spread it's way through the trees 
and the little animals will be scurrying about
more as it warms.


I love the way that with cottage core
it is a natural collection of 
this and that.
Beauty and functionality.
Toss in some candles
an old wooden tray that is re-painted
and some leaves and acorns from a dear friend.


I painted this old frame and added some pretty paper 
to it and it brightens that space. 


I love plants.
I'm sure you've gathered that about me.
I love to spread out the plants here and there.
Close to windows and bright spots.
It's good for the air quality
and the variety brings interest to the home.
I like to add doilies to little tables
and spaces.
For beauty and to protect surfaces.


I have come to love birds indoors
and like to have them tucked in here
and there among things.
This sweet bird below I found at the free store.
Neglected and tossed on the ground.
It needed to come home and hide in some greenery.


I love how the cottage core lends towards the natural.
I recently obtained these new cleaning tools.
They are so nice to use and I think they look
much nicer then the plastic ones I used to have. 
I love how they will also last much longer.


As with much of this look 
I feel that it creates a love for older things.
Items that still have much use left in them that have
often been set aside or discarded by others
in favour of newer things.
To be able to pull out things to continue to be useful 
and cherished is something I enjoy.
It is a look, or more so a lifestyle that cherishes
the simple things and joys in our lives.
Even though it's not a minimalistic look
it is a look that incorporates usefulness and beauty together.

It makes me want to put the kettle on and brew a cup of tea.
To sit and snuggle under a homemade blanket
watching the light change in the room as time passes. 
Perhaps with a book you love or a knitting project on the go.
To be slow and intentional.
To be able to take notice in all that God has created 
and enabled you to have.
The items are not to clutter your life
but to be of use to you.
Importantly... monetary cost is not to be considered.
Items that are free or minimal have the same value as those
that may cost much more.

Each home has a look that suits them
and I think I have found many cottage core 
choices in my home. 
Items that have come naturally into our space
that we share.
A look that I didn't go looking for
but one that has just come about over the years.

Perhaps it is time for a cup of tea. 
Thank you so much for dropping by 
to listen to my ramblings.

Love and Prayers,
Jennifer


No comments: