Monday 21 November 2016

A New Stool For Me


Hello!  Thanks for dropping by.  Today I have a stool to share with you.  I found it at the dump and I decided to bring it home and fix it up.  The top was just beyond help so I took it off and took it back to the dump. :)  I found a piece of scrap plywood in the shed and cut it down to the size I wanted.  I hammered some nail into it and it holds nicely.


The paint on it was terrible and flaking all over the place.  SO, I sanded it down and thought to myself  why paint it when it's so pretty just like this.  Well, I varnished it instead to show the lovely distressed look.


What do you think?  Would you have painted it?


The next part was the cushion.  I wanted it to be able to be sat on, and also to sit things on.  SO multi-purpose.  I chose a very thin memory foam pad and then went looking for some fabric.  I found an old dress that I liked the fabric on and cut it up some.  The one side wasn't big enough to make it all the way across so I sewed two pieces together (one had a seam in it) so it has a panelled look.  Before I sewed those panels together, I sewed on a piece of crochet lace to fancy up the seam.  Then I used a zig zag stitch since there was already three lines of stitching.  What do you think?  You might have to click on the picture to enlarge it to see better.


Now it's in full use.  My kids sit on it, I stack things on it and I love it! :)  I took a picture of one of the crocheted baby blankets I just finished on it.

                                   

Praying you have a splendid day!

Sharing with The Art of Homemaking Mondays.


4 comments:

God's Grace Overflows said...

What a wonderful little stool! I love that saying: one mans trash, is someone else's treasure. I personally like the distressed look. I'm glad you left it that way. And your cushion turned out great. Love the color. You my dear are very crafty!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Hugs, Amy

Danielle Dunn said...

A good idea of how to take it and turn it into something useful and fun.

Donna Reidland said...

What a great little find! Happy Thanksgiving!

living from glory to glory said...

Well done!!
I have a weak spot in my heart for stools and little tables. I bet you will get a lot of use out of it! The shabby distress look is so popular!
Your baby blanket is so sweet!
Sending a hug your way!
Roxy xo