Monday 21 August 2023

Homemaking Mondays: End of Season Delights

 


Hello! 
How have your days been going? 
Some say that summer days are slow
but I find that they go by so quickly. 
Short burst of heat surrounded by clouds and rain.
Then amazing growth followed by quick harvests and 
clouds of mosquitos and black flies. 
Some do not like the wind...but it makes being outside nice.

My garden is finishing up.
I pulled the beats, garlic, carrots, tomatoes, and greens.
Above is the sweet Candy Cane beet variety 
along with the mini carrots that are best eaten just this way.

Another aspect of the garden that is coming to a close are the flowers.
The tea garden flowers are about done and the harvests
have been stored. 
There is still quite a bit more mint that will hang around for a bit 
in the cooler weather.
My old neighbour gifted me some amazing honey from his hives.
I'm not really eating honey or sugar now...but a little snitch 
doesn't hurt too much. 


I've been bringing in flowers from the garden to enjoy on the 
kitchen windowsill. 
Snapdragons are nice and hearty
and will still keep blooming through the early frosts.


This year I let my dill go to seed for the first time. 
It is interesting to see how it has changed.
I shall be saving the seeds for fridge pickles.


See Judith ---- the pink lupin has bloomed!!
It is a beautiful addition to the flowers at the front step.
The blooms are so pretty and are lasting so long!


Now the fresh herbs are about finished for the summer as well.
It's been nice to have them to season foods and soups.
A lovely aspect of summer!


Good news is that the person that has bought the house
we are living in wants us to stay for the winter.
So....we aren't moving, just yet. 
The Lord is good and we can relax and prepare for winter.

My girls are settled into their new home 
and it was a joy to be able to visit them and have them host me.

Thanks for dropping by! 
I hope you have a lovely day keeping your home!

Love and Prayers,
Jennifer

No comments: