Monday 23 October 2023

Homemaking Mondays: Needing a Touch of Warmth

 


Hello!
I hope you are cozy on this Monday.
Here winter has come and the temps are dropping.
I'm enjoying the brightness the snow is bringing 
to the landscape.
At night the northern lights have been dancing
bringing colour to the night sky.
Even though we are heading into a season 
with lots of darkness
there are touches of light at special times
to help dispel it.

Inside it's cozy with the heavier woollen blankets 
set out and I was blessed to find
one of those weighted blankets at the free store
for us to snuggle under.  
I actually found two, but one has been 
gladly accepted by my daughters for their home.

I myself love to go barefoot in the house
and now have a pair of warm socks tucked into
the tops of my boots to slip on when going outside.
I've been working on a new pair of wool socks for myself.
the bright cheerful yarn was a gift from a dear friend
and it's quite fun to knit with. 


Along with the new season
comes the need for new outdoor wear.
The entry way has now been filled with warm coats,
big boots and lots of hats/mitts/& scarves.

This past fall my son painted the frame for this mirror for me.
It's an old mirror from my husband's grandmother.
The plastic had yellowed more with age and needed a refresh.
Then I wanted to add some colour to the plain empty wall above
where the boys keep all their "accessories". 
My daughter had left this big beautiful picture of wildflowers
and then I printed off some pictures from the internet I loved.
One day I'd love to have a real copy of them...but that is for future.
For now they are just tacked up...I have yet to find a frame for them.

Then I when I put away the summer hats needed a place
for a couple hats that I didn't want squished in a box. 
I picked up a couple little hooks and installed those on the wall
so the hats will hang all year and be out of the way, yet accessible. 


The morning after the lake froze
dawned bright and filled with sunshine!
It was glorious to see the yellow light spread 
about the lake and into the trees 
as the sun came above the mountain.


There has been one brave soul 
out skating thus far...but it was not me.
I shall wait till the ice is a lot thicker
before I venture out. 
Hopefully we won't get much snow before we
have a chance to skate about on it.
It is so nice to be able to go all the way around the lake
and at times be able to gaze through the ice 
to the world below.

The lake as it's freezing
has come back to life with it's "sounds".
At times cracking, moaning, or just sounding like whales
calling to each other. 
Very interesting to listen to at night.


What kinds of things have you 
added to your home 
to add a touch of warmth to it?

I pray you have a blessed day!

Love and Prayers,
Jennifer


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which grandmother is the mirror from?

Anonymous said...

That comment was from Dan's cousin Denise.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful as usual! You have a great touch for warming a home with comfort. The lake looks inviting for skating, waiting for the ice to be safe must be hard. Standing by the window must be so relaxing!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for reminding of the unique sounds that a frozen lake makes. I have memories of those sounds tucked away that I haven't relived in a while.:)