Monday 9 October 2023

Homemaking Mondays: Do You See The Details


Hello! 
This past week we got our first snow. 
Of course it never lasts.
It was lovely to see the snow melting on the leaves.
Like little globes magnifying the details on each leaf.
The snow brightened up the colour of the fallen leaves 
just as it brightened up the forest
even in the wee hours of the morning
when the light of dawn had been previously dim.

I really enjoy leaves.
All the shades of colour from just one tree.
With all the sizes and vein patterns.
It reminds me of fingerprints and snowflakes.
All of them unique and beautiful.
How many times do we stop to actually look at the details?
Do we just flatly think...oh leaves?
Or do we seek out their uniqueness? 


Then as the temperature dropped in the night
the little droplets froze and held their little 
lenses clearly.
Sometimes I wonder if we look at our lives this way to?
Like taking little portions of it
and putting it under a clear globe to notice the tiny details. 
If you do...what do you see?
Do you see the beauty or the flaws or the quirky details?
Each has it's place and part in the bigger picture.


After the snow came more rain.
The low lying clouds and fog over the lake are so pretty.
The snow is gone and puddles and squishy ground remain. 
I find myself very quiet, watching the season change
and taking in the details.
The wind blowing leaves and water droplets from the trees.
The birds coming back to check on the feeder.
Soon I will be putting out some seeds for them
but for now I'm holding off because of the hungry bears.
I do go out and feed the grey jays from my hand
as they are super friendly.
There have been some beautiful swans that have
stopped over to rest on the lake, 
waiting out some of the bad weather.



It is fun to also watch the squirrels scampering about
storing the last of what they can find.
They are getting their thicker fur 
and that makes them look even chubbier then before.
There is one that likes to come up on the windowsills and peek in.
I think it would love to be invited in but that won't be happening.
Soon it can enjoy the bird feeder 
and that will help it to 
keep warm.
I saw a tip to use bacon fat mixed with oatmeal
to make feeders for the birds for winter.
So...I have some of that started and after it 
gets really cold out I'll put some out for the birds
and who knows...the squirrels might like bacon to?

We got a new rug for our living room 
which is off gassing in our spare room for now.
We had to get rid of our old one due to mold.
This new one will add a new layer of comfort to the room.
Then next item I need to find is a curtain rod for the big window. 
I found curtains at the free store, so next is to get them up.
Another layer for winter to help keep out the cold at night.
I haven't had curtain in the living room for a few years
so this will be different.


This weekend I was gifted this lovely tea cup.
The lady no longer had need of it and I was delighted to give it a new home.
It has such a nice handle on it.  
Some tea cups are awkward to hold, but not this one.
The pattern is simple and elegant.
There is a stain on the inside that I've yet to be able to get out.
I tried baking soda, which usually works for me.
Do you have another suggestion?
I tried to find out how old it was but couldn't...yet.
No matter...I enjoy it and will use it and that is what it's all about.
As seen above... I enjoyed a pot of tea.
I like this tray because I can sit it on the couch next to me 
and not worry about spills. 
Our little moveable end table is in use at the moment 
holding a board with a puzzle in progress.
My one son and I are enjoying puzzle building and this is our 
third one in a row.
The first two we glued and put up in his room
although I'm not sure the third one will have that same purpose.
I find that doing puzzles really helps 
to problem solve and makes one focus on details.
Helps with memory and fine motor skills.
Those things in our days
often have more purpose then just entertainment.


On the yarn front... I have finished a pair of socks for my niece
and those will be popped in the mail soon. 
Next I'm going to knit some socks for me as I could use another pair.
The "mens" socks are still serviceable at this point.
I found another wooden tool at the free store that is 
like a darning mushroom.
I looked it up and it's a wooden massager from the Body Shop.
Called a Thai wooden relaxer
that is much cheaper then getting an actual darning mushroom.
If you wanted a cheaper option for that tool.
Lightbulbs do work but I like the unbreakableness of the wood.
That will get good use keeping those socks useable. 

I think that homemade or store bought knit or crocheted items 
are so wonderful this time of year. 
The dampness of the changing seasons seems to call for wool.
A dear friend of mine is making a sweater...and that sounds like a great idea to try! 
I love how wool is so warm even if it's wet.
I have ideas for some wool mittens this winter as well. 
I love those nordic patterns but that is beyond my skill level.
What style of mittens do you enjoy?

Well...time to go strip the sheets on the beds and get them in the laundry.
Even without having the option of the clothesline anymore
it's a necessary change up.
Time for some warmer sheets....something flannel I think.

I hope you have a lovely homemaking day! 

Love and Prayers,
Jennifer

 

1 comment:

Sunshine Country said...

I loved seeing your pictures of the frozen water droplets on the leaves. Those are so pretty! It's always special to take note of the beautiful little things God gives us. It's just starting to look like fall here...and I've been trying each day to get out for a walk. Sometimes I just sit in a lawn chair and listen to all of the peaceful sounds...birds singing, insects humming....and I'm thankful for being able to enjoy it all.