Monday 13 November 2023

Homemaking Mondays: Organizing Projects and a Pile of Yarn

 


Hello!
I hope you are having a lovely
homemaking day.
It's still a bit dark out here and we're waiting 
for the sun to come up over the mountain.
It's an interesting thing to wake with the stars shining bright.
As the light fills the sky I start
to ponder on the needs of the day.
One thing on my mind today is all the projects 
that I have ideas for.
Things I've gathered together to begin 
or have perhaps started already.
Do you do one project at a time?
or do you have multiple ones on the go 
at any given time? 
I am the multiple projects kinda person.
These are the projects 
on top of the regular homemaking needs you 
need to accomplish.

A lady I know brought up an idea to me
where she had heard of some people
organizing their days 
according to their projects.
She mentioned that some organized their time 
by hours...if of course you had no other commitments.

It made me wonder if this would be 
a beneficial habit for me to try.
To organize the day in such a way
as to give attention to each project. 
Perhaps that would enable me to accomplish more?
So I have decided that it would be good to 
take the spare time I have in the morning 
between working with my homeschool boys lessons
for yarn work.
I already to this most days.
At the moment I have a pair of socks I'm knitting,
some darning to do and a new blanket I've begun.
I could do some on each if it suited me that day.
That will be morning work.
Then in the afternoon if I find spare time I 
will go to the sewing room and work on the next 
needed sewing project.
I've a quilt that I'm starting.
I have a stack of sewing projects
that I have ideas for.
One thing at a time.
So not a detailed plan, but a more focused one.
I have decided to write in my planner 
what projects I need to focus on in order.
So I hope to be able to accomplish more.

There are always other projects,
like shovelling snow, making jerky, baking bread,
organizing books, planning lessons and appointments
that will always just be thrown in 
wherever they are needed. 
For me the idea of some of the other creative things
I should be more intentional about.
So...after I get the jerky in the oven I'll sit myself down 
and play with some yarn.

This past week I walked into the yarn section 
of Walmart to be surprised by 
a fully stocked light blue (storm blue) yarn.
Most of the yarn was cleaned out due to 
the season of making gifts.
So I quickly scooped up a few balls.
I've been looking for this shade of blue for a long time.
I'm going to make a throw blanket for my bedroom to match 
my blue and white quilt. 
I've picked a beautiful shell pattern that has a bit 
of a lacy feel to it.
It's a simple pattern as it's just two alternating rows.
So a peaceful relaxing project.
I have looked at some of the other amazing patterns
out there...but honestly it would take so much more effort
to make something intricate.
So simple does the job for me.

Also for me I've decided to simplify my work baskets.
To just having what I'm actually doing 
and not all the ones I want to do as it makes me a bit overwhelmed.

Sometimes it's nice to exchange a crochet hook from knitting needles.


SO just a few thoughts today.
How do you get through projects?
Do you just take them as they come or do you plan them out?

I hope you have a wonderful day! 

Love and Prayers,
Jennifer 

No comments: