Monday 22 May 2023

Homemaking Mondays: Can Others Tell You Live There?

 

Hello! 
I hope you are enjoying 
your homemaking day! 

There are so many things that make 
our homes places that reflect us.
Can others tell that you live there?
Each of us have our interests,
our cherished "stuff",
our ways of doing things,
our own styles.

I think of these things when I walk 
into another woman's home.
You can really learn a lot about a person
by just walking into their home.
That brings me to think
what do others think of my home?
Do they see what interests me?
Do they feel at home and welcome in my space?
What kinds of things are important to me?
What does the Lord think of my home?
Is it filled with things that honour Him?
or should I reconsider what I have brought into my home.

As I go through my home I am evaluating 
what needs to be here and what needs to go.
With moving in a few months and also Spring cleaning.
Part of refreshing the home is evaluating
the place everything has in our homes.
Above I found a beautiful plate at the free store.
I brought it home and will use it as a serving dish.
Something beautiful and useful.
That said I have other serving plates that will find a new home
as I no longer have a place in my home for them.
Over time I have found my home changing.
As I slowly find things that I enjoy,
that suit my personal style
and not just a specific function.
Our homes are so much more then just a place
to lay our heads at night.
What does your home say about you?


This past weekend my husband 
took us on a fun adventure.
He drove us out to a community 
not so far from home.
It has a lovely beach.
We had a little picnic in the town park.
A couple of my children went for a big walk way down the shore.
I stayed closer to the vehicle with the others.
The warm sand was lovely to walk in although
further out on the beach the wet sand turned bitter cold.
The wind was a bit brisk and I must say that I love
how it blocks out the noises around you 
blowing your hair about your face in untameable ways.
It was a lovely day to spend some time together
as a family enjoying the world God has made.


This week in the garden 
there have been some wins and losses.
The squirrels have been nibbling down my little
greens seedlings.
The tomatoes and squash are growing strong
and the herbs are enjoying the added warmth and light.
The hascaps have leaves popping out as they 
are following suit to the trees.
The brilliant green of spring is amazing...
along with the smell of sap that fills the 
afternoon air in the heat of the day.
I bought some more flowers this past week
and have planted them out in the yard.
I found a cute little basket that had the bottom
taken out of it...so I put it in my big steel pot.
The colour is starting to come out 
with the flowers and colour the yard.
Things are still covered at night and through
the morning as it's still quite cool and frosts at night.


The new glass in my butter churn I must say
works beautifully! 
My arm is definitely out of shape for this task
and it took me a long time on my first go.
The butter turned out perfect
and I shall be using this more often.
I love the smooth sound of the gears
a melodic sound in the quiet of the kitchen.


My older son and I took a detour
on the way to his music lesson this past week.
It was such a beautiful day we decided to take a bit of a climb
to see the lake above the dam.
So calm and peaceful.


I wanted to share this sweet little pillow that I found
yes...at the free store.
It's an April Cornell and I love the 
beautiful hand stitched look.
A lovely fresh pillow cover for my chair.


I also found this beautiful
little candle holder at the free store.
It was a bit dirty...
but nothing a little scrubbing couldn't fix.
I put one of my beeswax candles
on it and it's ready to go.
Plus fun fact...there was a hole
in the wall right there 
so it was like it was waiting for that
candle holder to come and cover it. :) 


Thank you for stepping into my life and home today!
I pray you enjoy your homemaking this week.

Love and Prayers,
Jennifer

5 comments:

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Nice to read your post this week. My style is very slow in coming. It is taking me a while to develop a flavor when it comes to decorating. So far I have family pictures hanging and a couple framed sayings. I like to pick myself bouquets of fresh flowers and display those. :)

Margie said...

Great finds at the free store!

I've always decorated based on what I like, so my house is filled with teawares and tea-related items. I've jokingly called my house is a "tea house".

I also need to do some decluttering and pass on items that no longer suit my interests.

Sunshine Country said...

I don't have my own home yet...but often think of ways I would enjoy decorating. My style definitely leans towards an old fashioned farm style. I love adding Scripture plaques on the wall as a way to be reminded of God's Word through the day.

Anonymous said...

Flowers bring such joy into life. They cheer us and bring a lightness into our life. Contentment is relaxing with new growth around us.❤️

Anonymous said...

Ulrike