Monday 18 December 2023

Homemaking Mondays: Winter Thoughts

 

Hello!
The winter has been so warm here this year

with the temperatures going up around the freezing mark often.

It makes it nice to be outside...although 

it has been darker with more cloud cover and the ground

being so slippery.  

Roads are harder to navigate and takes more caution.

Especially for my son who is learning to drive.

I often will drive the first part of a trip out 

to see how the roads are before handing over the keys to him.

He is a very good driver...but you know...I'm a nervous mom.

With the darkness, I love the moments 

where the sun bursts through the clouds and fills the sky

with golden light.

Sometimes I will find myself at the window just soaking up

the rays of sunshine. It never lasts long.

I love how the sunshine brings a warmth to a room or outdoor space.

Inviting.

It has been making me think about how we make our homes inviting.

How can we be the sunshine for our family?

Do we greet our family with a smile and a kind word?

This month is my younger daughter's birthday.

It has been a blessing to be apart of her life as she grows

in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus

as well as in beauty.

I've not been making as many cards lately

but whenever I sit down to make one it is special 

because of who I'm making one for.

 I've been doing more knitting but haven't gotten 

those projects completed yet.  

It's good to have a full work basket

with new projects and mending. 

One part of making wool socks is darning the holes.

I've been still enjoying the carnivore way of eating.

I'm feeling stronger and the scale has started moving down again.

I have tried a new meal.

It's sardines/ eggs/ parmesan cheese 

mixed up and cooked in my waffle iron.

Slather some butter on top and yum! 

Strange how I can now admit I like sardines. 

My children and I last night went to our community centre

for their yearly sparkler skate. 

It was fun to be out and enjoy the company of my kids on the ice

and of friends and community members.

Young and old alike out on the ice.

Great skaters and those who needed to be careful and go slow.

I actually love these kinds of events because of what it teaches my kids.

People worry about socialization with homeschoolers.

The truth is that when your children engage in activities with 

people of all ages they learn so much more then being with 

people their own age more. 

Yes, it's great to have friends your age as you can relate to them 

in the stages of your life.

The lessons and understanding you learn from older people 

or lessons you can share with younger ones.

It's special to watch my children come alongside young children

voluntarily helping them and bringing smiles to their faces

just because.

Then to watch them sit down with men and women much older

asking them questions and listening to their lives.

We all need all of these relationships. 

Our community centre has a wonderful

Olympic size rink as well as a tennis court next to it.

This year our "ice man" has created this serpentine track to enjoy.

One fun thing with sparklers...they are more fun in the dark!

 
Thanks for dropping by today.
I pray you have a wonderful week! 
Thank you for all of you that leave comments
and share a piece of your lives with me.

Love and Prayers,
Jennifer


2 comments:

Linda Shukri said...

Wow! I like sardines but would never have thought of making them like that! I've only ever eaten them on the hard crackers, like Rye Crisp with butter. Don't think I'd make waffles with them! :-)

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Jennifer, I love your thoughts about inviting! It's true, our attitude can change so much within the home. I love to stand in the sunshine too! We have had a very warm winter here also, and just this week will be getting some colder air, and finally got a good amount of snow. I hope to ski later this week when it gets colder.

About the carnivore diet - my husband and I have been looking into this, and trying it out. We find we can do the carnivore way of eating, but we feel better if we have some fruits and vegetables too. We have completely cut out sugar in our life, which has done wonders for our health. Many people though do amazingly well on the carnivore way of eating. I think it all depends on where your body is, and you just find what works for you! I'm so happy to hear of your progress!

I love skating, and miss it so very much, having grown up skating as a child. It's wonderful that your kids are able to interact with young and old alike. Such a blessing!

Happy New Year to you, may it be filled with precious gifts from the Lord!