Monday 19 June 2023

Homemaking Mondays: Delights of Early Summer Homemaking

 


Hello! 
How are your early summer days going?
I think it's a delightful time of year.
The flowers outside are starting to really 
burst and flourish.
The fresh summer rains come and refresh
the dry ground
and brings a bright flush of green.

I've been enjoying the windows being open.
Then I finally took the plastic off the back screen door.
Now there is better airflow since the 
temperatures outside are more consistently warm.

I made a batch of strawberry jam 
this week that will be saved for the summer markets.
Summer is the perfect time to make jams
as they don't take a huge amount of time 
and are wonderful to enjoy fresh...you know that little
bit that doesn't fit in the canning jars.
As I was waiting in the kitchen for the canner I thought about 
this empty space on the wall by the canisters.
I had a beautiful calendar picture by Thomas Kinkade 
so I cut it down and framed it. 
There is a lot of glare on the glass,
but keeps it safe from splatters that do happen 
in my kitchen----a lot. 


The wild roses are starting to bloom outside
and it's nice to pick a couple here and there
to put in my rose bowl on the windowsill.
Soon we can pick petals to dry for tea.


As the roses are starting to come into bloom
the last of the may tree blooms are being enjoyed.
I put out a new table cloth on the kitchen table.
It's plastic so it is easy to wash but it also
has a lot of seams that have yet to be flattened out.


Then I thought I'd freshen up the spot on my counter/island
that is always getting cluttered.
I stashed my jar of muffin cups and the peace lily 
in my planter box. 
Then I cleared the board behind 
and put up an old calendar picture.
I stowed the bowls under the riser some and then have 
a nice basket of towels 
which has since become the stowaway 
for our potholders instead.
Things are functioning nicely again.


I do love these lovely summer days that are beginning
where we can hang out laundry on the line
and it actually gets dry. 
Longer periods without rain or temperatures
so cool that it takes forever to dry.
That fresh air scent then permeates the linen closet
and our rooms as the sheets are snuggled into.
Do you hang your laundry to dry?
What to you use to store your clothespins?
I have had this little basket for ages 
and I find it just perfect for the amount 
of clothespins I use for a full line of laundry.


I wanted to share with you this cute little book
that I found at our used book store.
It's a reader and is super old.
As our homeschool lessons have come to a close
for the summer months
we still have interesting little things 
that we put some time into. 
Even though it's for a young reading level we all
have a gander just to learn something new.
Different vintage books have different 
perspectives on history.


Thank you for dropping by!
I hope you are enjoying your summertime.

Love and Prayers,
Jennifer


1 comment:

Sunshine Country said...

I enjoyed catching up on your post! I haven't been doing well with spending time blogging or reading other's blogs lately... Guess that's a good thing in a way since it means I've been busy. :) I'm in Canada again and have been helping some on the farm at my sister's.

We always used to hang out clothes out to dry when I was growing up. My mom had an old purse/handbag that we could just sling over our shoulder to carry the clothespins with us. It always worked great and was a convenient way to carry them! I like the looks of your basket, to carry yours in.