Monday 1 August 2022

Homemaking Mondays: Cooler Day Activities

 


Hello! 
How are  you this fine August morning? 
It's amazing how time just seems to slip by.
This past week has been full of homemaking tasks 
that find a way of putting a smile on my face.

It's been a bit cooler...but that is the Yukon summer for you.
Mornings are cool or all out cold and the afternoons are 
lovely and warm.
In the greenhouse the plants are doing well and the large
tomatoes are starting to turn and I'm anxious to
have a tomato sandwich. :) 
The cucumbers are coming on nicely and there are fridge 
pickles brewing. I use the fridge pickle recipe
from the Prairie Homestead Cookbook.
The squash are growing well and this past weekend
I made lasagna with zucchini instead of noodles for the first time.
It was delicious!

I pulled my sourdough starter out of my fridge and woke it up.
I made some sourdough english muffins and then
a double batch of sourdough bread. 
It's always nice to make some for us and some to share.
I use the recipes for those from Farmhouse On Boone. 

On cool mornings I feel more inspired to bake...and then 
the heat from the oven warms the house up nicely.
I pulled out some of my favourite cookbooks. 
In truth I'm not one to follow recipes perfectly. 
I'm more of a person who looks for inspiration from them.
Then I see what ingredients they say to use and go from there. 
Some baked things need more precision but others...
well you could say it sparks my creativity.  ha! 
My dear friend once told me that cookbooks were like old friends.
I think that is true for they stay with you for years.
The Company's Coming cookie book and the Joy of Cooking 
were both gifts when I got married.
Then most of my cookbooks were used and loved when I got them.
I was gifted with the Prairie Homestead cookbook 
by my family and it is becoming a good friend to as I use it. 
Some like pristine books but I love those 
that have a few stains and tears. 
Evidence that they were used and loved.


As summer is finishing up...yes summer is almost over here.
The wildflowers are finishing up and the grass is starting to turn.
Up on the mountains you can see the colours starting to change a bit.
It will take awhile before fall is full on so we shall 
enjoy the last that summer has for us. 
The delphiniums that I was gifted this past spring have come to 
a beautiful colourful life! 
I didn't have big expectations of them as they had been transplanted.
They are so beautiful and I can see a couple patches of them 
out my kitchen window.

Also on the note of flowers. 
The garden peas are just covered in flowers 
and fresh delicious peas. 
It is fun to see the kids out grazing 
when they go outside.


What have you been up to in your homemaking days?

Thank you for dropping by! 
Love and Prayers,
Jennifer


No comments: