Sunday 13 October 2019

Homemaking Mondays: Change of Seasons


Hello! 
Thanks for dropping by!  
Do you love the change of seasons?
We've had a beautiful fall here in the Yukon and it's been so nice to enjoy 
all the lovely frosty plants and flowers.


As well as the frost that covers the trees and trucks and buildings.
Now scraping frost off the windshield isn't my favourite thing to do, it does look beautiful!
 

The ice started to gradually form on the edges of the water and I thought 
maybe it'll freeze nice and smooth to build a skating rink?  
Well, that wasn't meant to be for....


 Then we had a huge blizzard and the deep slush froze across the water. 
We got about 8 inches of snow...which is a lot for us here
in the semi arid boreal forest.

Makes me think of the wonderous works of the Lord Jesus! 
Psalm 147: 16-18

"He giveth snow like wool: he scattereth the hoarfrost like ashes.    

He casteth forth his ice like morsels: who can stand before his cold?    

He sendeth out his word, and melteth them: he causeth his wind to blow, and the waters flow."
 
I pulled all the winter things out of the closet and then put all the fall things in the closet.
Part of the change of seasons is the outerwear the family needs. 
Do you do this for your family or is it each for themselves?

As we were shovelling we would toss some onto the slush ice...
and it would giggle like jello. 
Made shoveling a bit more fun for the kids.
The start of the winter shoveling times...and I'm so very thankful for my 
strong children to help with it.


The temps were warm and the snow wet...we had quite a time of shoveling our drive close to our home.  Then the Lord provided a wonderful neighour to plow the rest our driveway for us. 
It's a longer driveway that we could never shovel it all by hand.


Now it feels like it's time to sit in my chair by the window and crochet something.  
There is a need for a couple baby blankets to be made so I've started this one.
It's a motif style with a variegated blue by Red Heart called True Blue. 
Just two alternating rows in the pattern but it comes out with such 
an elegant look to it.


Do you like to take the time in the cooler days to sit and crochet or knit?
My chair is in the dinning room and close to the kitchen stove...
so a lovely toasty warm place to be.


The weather isn't quite cold enough to keep all the snow and ice. 
The slush has melted all the fallen snow.


The patterns in the ice as it circles around the brush and trees is so pretty. 
It's been fun to watch little birds skitter about on the fresh ice.
So light they have no worries.
Although we had some swans come back to the lake,
walk around on the ice that was thin farther out and break through a spot
for them to feed and clean up. 
Most of the birds are gone now that were here...we see or hear them occasionally as they 
fly by on their way south.
It's been freezing and melting through the last few days.


As the snow melts off the roof it's sliding over the eves and comes crashing to the ground. 
Something new for us as this is the first place we've lived in that 
has a metal roof.


I never get tired of the view, or the way that the clouds move over the mountains.
The reflections in the melted lake capture the stillness of the moment.


Last night I was thinking about what to do for breakfast the next day.
I thought pancakes would be nice....and then thought
buttermilk pancakes would be just the thing.
I didn't have any buttermilk in the fridge so I made some 
with the buttermilk starter that I received free when I got Jill Winger's new cookbook. 
The instructions went with my father who I shared some of the starter with, 
but in the book there were instructions for me to follow. 
Simple...take a quart of milk, add the starter and then wait a few hours.
The pancakes tasted so good with the fresh buttermilk!
I didn't have anything fancy to cover it with.
I just took a piece of an old sheet and a jar ring...worked perfectly.


 So how are things going with you during this change of seasons?
I think that each has it's own beauty that the Lord intentionally created.
There is a freshness and excitement to each new change...like another adventure beginning.

We have plans for snowshoe trails and putting up our bird feeders. 
(Which we do after the bears are asleep...and that's not quite yet)
There are some winter birds coming around. 
My daughter made friends with a chickadee and its family group at the last place we lived just a couple kilometers away. It  has discovered that she has moved, but not far away.  
It was fun for her to see it again and I hope it comes to visit her often.

How do things in your home change with the seasons? 

Thanks for dropping by!

Love and Prayers,
Jennifer



3 comments:

Margie said...

Cool shots (no pun intended)! I especially like the image of the frosted purple flowers.

I haaaate scraping ice off the windshield so when the temperature drops, I start parking my car in the garage.

September Violets said...

Loved reading your post this morning Jennifer :) Your crochet looks beautiful, such a pretty shade of blue. Sitting by the woodstove to crochet sounds heavenly. We haven't turned our furnace on yet ... still gets up to high teens in the day. Your new place has stunning scenery! You must so love seeing all that beauty around you as you work at chores outdoors. We're now enjoying our local trees finally turn to red and gold, and some days we could use a jacket in early morning ;) Take care,
Wendy xox

Mrs. White said...

I love the changing seasons. I am amazed how quickly winter comes after autumn. Your pictures of the frost and snow are so pretty. We have had a few frosty mornings here. We often get some snow in October. The blanket you are making certainly does look elegant. I am sure it will be lovely!