Monday 19 August 2019

Homemaking Mondays: It's In The Little Things


Hello!
I'd love to share with you some of the little things 
that have brought me joy this week.

The weather here has changed.  
We got a couple days of heavy rain, and when the clouds lifted...
there was snow on the high mountain tops.  
It was 5C in the morning...and yes we started our wood stove up
to take the chill off.  

That was followed by gale force winds!
It was incredible to have to really lean against the wind 
while doing chores outside. 
There were a few trees falling. 
Thankfully not in an area that needed to be cleaned up...
at our place at least. 

On one afternoon, while the winds had quieted a little bit.
I snuck out with my camera to take pictures of the flowers...
just because who knows what might happen to them. 

Thankfully they are all mostly intact at this time. 
I do cover them at night as the temps do drop down to or below freezing at night.


I have found some new favourites to hopefully add to the flower garden next year. 


As well as old favourites that always make me smile! :) 


These are called nemophelia "Baby Blue Eyes".  
They are so lovely and my children introduced them to me 
through the gardening program that they worked at this summer at our local community center.  
They seeded the flowers, watered, and cared for them. 
I bought some of their starter plants for our home. 


With having the wood stove on for heat...we might as well 
cook on it and save electricity right?  
I thought so...but with a newly started fire it doesn't give off enough heat to cook well.
With a hungry family...I got to thinking.
 I found that one of my skillets fit perfectly in the "hole" 
when I took the burner lid off to fill the stove with wood. 
Yup....cooks much better that way while the stove 
is getting itself going. No need to wait. :) 
Also my new favourite pancake is made with
unbleached flour and fresh ground oat flour. 
I told my family it was just like having oatmeal and toast for breakfast 
but in a different form.


While the stove was pipping hot, we decided that we needed some bread.  
I ground some spelt flour for the first time in awhile.
Oh does it taste delicious!  
I mix in some of the fresh flour with unbleached as we like fluffy bread.  
I make a pan of buns with three loaves of bread at a time.


Doesn't this look delicious? 
Yes, my son and I just had to try one before setting them aside to cool for supper. 
You know...quality control!


These are some of the little things that the Lord has blessed my home with. 
The things that give me pause to thank Him.  
Some people think that mundane lives are boring...but I think they are beautiful! 

Thanks for dropping by!

Love and Prayers,
Jennifer

3 comments:

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Your buns look delicious and I know about quality control with things fresh from the oven. It’s a woman’s duty to ensure the food tastes good. lol
The flowers from seed are pretty, nice job by the children. I saved seeds from my Finland lupines if you want any, a pinkish coral colour.
Stay warm and happy wood stove cooking!

Margie said...

Love the purple and yellow flowers.

I agree that it's the small things in life that bring us joy!

Mrs. White said...

The flowers are so pretty! Your bread looks wonderful.

It is so nice to have a cozy wood stove to keep us warm!