Monday 20 August 2018

Homemaking Mondays: Under the Shelter of His Wing


 Welcome to Homemaking Mondays!

Today I'd like to share with you a little about being under the shelter of His wing.

Psalm 17: 6-9

"I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech.
Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them.
Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings,
From the wicked that oppress me, from my deadly enemies, who compass me about."

I was out in the garden this week relieving my flowers of their frost blankets (yes it's frosting again in the Yukon).  When I saw this big bumble bee under the protection of the flower petals.  It made me think of the above verse written in the Psalms.  The shadow of thy wings....what a beautiful truth!  

We most certainly, once we are saved by the Lord Jesus, are kept under the shadow of His wing...in the shelter of His protective hand.  That safety is there for those who have put their faith and trust in the Lord Jesus. How would not want to be there?

So many dangers are out there...so many that seek to harm and destroy.  
The Lord Jesus is our safe place...He is our protector!

It brought me to the thoughts of home that day looking at that bumble bee sheltering there.  
As mothers, as keeper's at home....it is also our position to shelter those in our care.  
To provide a safe, protected space for those under our care.  
I used to see my little ones hide in the folds of my skirts like pictures of yesteryear.  
Now my children are older....and the need is still as great.  
We as mothers and keepers at home need to be very vigilant, teaching our children, being watchful of harmful things and standing in the way to fend off what might cause harm.  Yes, sheltering our children!
Some say "You're being too protective...children need to experience things so they learn on their own."    Really?  The truth is that as you fend off those things that cause harm...not just physically, but spiritually and emotionally as well...they learn to do the same.  They need a mentor...that they can learn from.  From a safe distance from the harm.   (Think oven mitts)  
I know that touching a hot stove as a child definitely would teach them not to touch it again...but in truth...I've taught my children of hot stoves without them ever needing to be burned.  

This goes for the worldliness around us.  We as mothers aren't to turn out children over to the world to let them learn how to "live in the real world".  We are to shelter our children from the world and nourish them with the Word of God.  There will come a time when they will be able to stand...and function just fine in the "real world".  Feeding our children worldly things doesn't give them a good foundation to understand and see truth.  It just gives them an appetite for things that are worldly and contrary to the things of the Lord.  We need to shelter out children from harm, yes teaching them what it is as well.  I can teach my children about many things without them needing to experience them for themselves.  

Children are much smarter then many adults give them credit for.  They absorb so much from watching us.  If we don't allow certain things in our homes, and explain to our children why...they learn and the understanding goes much deeper then "mommy doesn't like it".    
Children need you as the keeper of the home, to be the adult...to be the one to step up and put protective barriers for them.  As they get older, the more they'll understand (and yes you need to teach them why they are there) and then be able to put those barriers up for themselves.  
Simply starting for example with...no magic in the house.  May sound simple right?  But it can be as simple as no fairies with magic wands (or fairy gardens)....to complex, like novels with sorcery mixed in or clothing with certain symbols printed on them. 
There are many layers of things, and we as keepers of the home need to be aware, watchful, and take action to shelter our children from being influenced by things that are against God's righteousness.  

Luke 17: 1-2 
"Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come!
It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones."

I encourage you today...shelter your children.  Be the protective wing under which your children can find safety and protection as we find under the shadow of the Saviour's wing.  

Love and Prayers,
Jennifer

No comments: