Monday 15 August 2016

And This Is Why I Garden!


And this is why I garden.... 
Just the simple pleasure of eating something fresh from your own yard, something that doesn't need the chemicals washed or pealed off.  Something that's been vine ripened and has all the flavour it was meant to have. :)  Plus it's super fun to see the range of goodies you can collect in just one day.  

From the garden to the table.  Lots of things in our garden never make it in the house and are eaten standing in the dirt in bare feet after swishing it around in the watering can.   (well, for root veggies)  

When making it inside, it's so nice to have lots of variety to go on the table.  Fun dishes also help with that!  My kids found this dish for me at a garage sale and I just love it.  It's covered in veggies now, but there are three different flower patterns, one for each little separated section.  Plus good fresh vegetables are delicious with fresh baked bread and a little sweet treat for after. 


This year is the first year we have had a strawberry bed.  We grew some in baskets last year and they didn't do much.  But this year we've been able to get a lot more.  Lots of different sizes and shapes, and all delicious!

                           

Gardening is good on the food budget, but it's also good for exercise, fresh air and nutrition.  Food that has grown to it's proper ripeness before being harvested has all the good stuff for you in it.  Even in the Yukon where I am still learning to grow well in a colder climate this is a little piece of joy that I have.  In providing something good for my family and teaching us all where food comes from and the value that it has.  You can't learn everything in a textbook.   The skills we learn and pass on to our children enable them to have a healthier life also.  My Mom always gardened, even in very small spaces and I have always wanted to be like that to.

The Lord Jesus is so good to me.  He has always enabled me to have somewhere to grow food, and of course flowers.  He truly cares about those things that are important to us.
Matthew 6:33 "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

Sharing with The Art of Homemaking Mondays.


2 comments:

Danielle Dunn said...

The strawberries are always good and yes we've always had carrots or lettuce or peas. :) I like watering the tomatoes but not eating them lol.

quakerhillfarm said...

Beautiful veggies and strawberries! Yes, there is something very satisfying about growing your own produce! Have a great week, Lynn