Monday 17 April 2023

Homemaking Mondays: Life is Blooming- Canning, Baking, & More Plants

 


Hello! 
Life is blooming regardless
of the big fluffy flakes of snow descending 
on us once again.
Yesterday we had quite a bit of sunshine 
and that has prompted more blooms to open 
on the geraniums. 
It's bringing lots of colour to the windows. 

It's been a lovely week of projects.
I was gifted this wonderful new blue bundt pan
by a dear friend.
Then given some bananas by another friend.

SO...I made some banana bread.
I find that making the same old recipes
in new pans makes it feel new and fun.


This past weekend I went to a plant swap
that was held at one of the local garden centres.
It was mostly for house plants but I did take some 
tomatoes and traded for these lovely new to me plants.
Well, when I was young my mother did have a couple of them
and it's nice to have those varieties in my home now.
They will need to find special homes inside the house 
but for now I'm keeping them off to themselves 
just to make sure they didn't bring any visiting bugs.


Last week when I went to the grocery
I was able to get a bunch of chicken and beef
on discount and so I did some canning.
I canned up some beef strew as well as 
cooked up some for a meal.
I didn't add any carrots to the canned stew 
as I will be adding in dehydrated carrots when I warm it up.
I have a bunch of dehydrated carrots to use up.
My stew is simple
beef, potatoes, onions, garlic, and salt. 
When I open the jars 
I add in pepper, worcestershire sauce, & carrots.
I find if I add the pepper when it's canned it
can be a bit strong.


The chicken canned up nicely as well
and looked so pretty as the sun was shining in
on them all nicely washed up and ready for the pantry.
I had canned a dozen but one of the jars has been 
used up for chicken gravy over biscuits.


As the day goes
the boys are doing their lessons
and I am needing to go putter in the kitchen.
I have dishes to put away that were washed last night, 
and bread to make.
Lovely acts of homemaking.


Thanks for dropping by!

Love and Prayers,
Jennifer

1 comment:

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Always nice to stop in for a visit with you Jennifer! I love your simple days, sharing the joys of life. The canned beef and chicken is a great idea to put up food for tomorrow. How lovely to be gifted a nice bundt pan, I use mine often to make banana bread too. So delicious! I have been busy with outside yard chores,raking pine needles. We had snow this morning too. Winter just doesn't want to give up! I hope you have a wonderful rest of your week!