Monday 28 September 2020

Homemaking Mondays: A Taste of Home


Hello!  
I think one of the most blessed parts of homemaking 
is to provide special good wholesome food
for our families and those we love.
I think there is a taste of home.
Foods that remind us of that special time at home.

It's the season for apples again.
Today one of my daughters and I sliced up a big bowl of apples.
I love doing these kinds of tasks with my children.
Some apples were mixed with brown sugar and cinnamon, 
some went into a big and small pies, 
and some into the dehydrator. 


I don't usually take time to make hand-pies
but today just felt like it was a day for some. 
I don't cook them as crispy as some others, 
but this is the way our family likes them. 
To me as I keep my home I try to consider what my family enjoys. 
I believe that we need to consider our families
 tastes as well when we cook.
Sometimes it's nice to just cook what we like...
but it's not fun to eat alone. 


Here is a picture of the lovely white lard that
I grated up for the pie crust.  
So lovely and it made for a delicious crust.


I also have been snitching the last of the flowers 
from the garden to enjoy in the house.


Pansies are my all time favourite
garden flower...
even though I do love so many.
Then the dusty miller fern is so perfect
to go along with them.  
I love how both of these plants do so well with the frosty weather. 


A special little delight 
that sits in the kitchen window and smiles 
at you as you work :) 


For the winter I also found this sweet sedum plant. 
It's found a home in the kitchen for now.  


What kinds of special touches have you added
to your home this week?
Do you like to bake treats for your family?
Do you like to bring in plants and flowers into your home?

Praying you have a beautiful day!
Love and Prayers,
Jennifer

 

4 comments:

Linda Shukri said...

Hi Jennifer! I have always wanted to make pasties (hand pies) but haven't yet. I have also used lard. I've been able to get unrefined lard at Whole Foods. Lately, I've been making muffins and scones for my husband to enjoy with his hard-boiled eggs when he gets up for work way before I do.

Alas, our teeny tiny yard doesn't come with wildflowers, but I do enjoy having flower boxes year-round on my front porch as we are now living in South Carolina. A lot different than my home back in New England and more recently in PEI. During the "winter" months here (last November through May) I had pansies on my front porch railing. It's still amazing to me that I can have flowers outside year-round! I love pairing the dark blues and purples with the yellow ones. When the pansies were looking poorly as the really hot weather came upon us, I tossed them and went to the garden center to get some colorful "tiny petunia" type flowers. I can't remember the name of them, but they are still going strong right now. In a couple months, I'll be changing over to pansies again!
Have a great week!
Love,
Linda

JES said...

All lovely 🤎

Sister in the Mid-west said...

I made ice cream last week. That was a special homemade treat that I hardly ever do. This coming Sunday I plan to roast a turkey. I am really looking forward to that meal! :)

Your pies look delicious! I love apple season. We have access to a few crab apple trees. I am thinking about going to pick crab apples in a week or two. They make really good apple butter.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Your apple pies look so wonderful Jennifer! It feels so good to make comfort food for the family that they enjoy! Like you, I make food that pleases the family, that is more important than anything else. I'm glad to be using the oven again, as fall weather is here. Today we had roasted chicken, and it was soo good. I wanted to thank you for the surprise in the mail that came... I loved it so, and will be sending a little something in the mail to you this week :) Fall is here, with all its beauty, and we are enjoying it glorious offerings. I too have been picking the last of my summer flowers, they are such a treat to enjoy. Your pansies are lovely in their blue vase! Many blessings to you dear friend!