Monday 6 April 2020

Homemaking Mondays: Keeping the Home


Hello! 

Today I'd just like to share with you some of the 
things I've been doing. 
They may seem simple but I really enjoy 
how they delight me. 
The Lord Jesus gives me great rest and comfort 
in just keeping my home.
I am happy to just focus on the role that the Lord Jesus has given me 
to serve my family in this way.
Watching for His coming and resting in His peace. 

"If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, 
if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,  
Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, 
being of one accord, of one mind.  Let nothing be done through
 strife or vainglory; but in lowliness 
of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.  
Look not every man on his own things, but every man also 
on the things of others.  
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:"
-Philippians 2: 1-5 

I have learned to knit washcloths now. 
A lovely lady I met some time ago sent me the simple 
washcloth pattern.  That went well...
so when a sweet friend of mine gave me a new one to try. 
I dove right in.  It's still simple with (2K & 2P) 
but it makes it a bit more knobby and good for scrubbing.

I still love to crochet washcloths.
There is a difference between the two styles. 
The knit ones are more elastic, where I find that the
crochet ones are a bit firmer to deal with tougher messes. 


One day I noticed that the milk in the fridge was 
kinda on the edge...
and so was the cream. 
I decided to make ricotta and butter.  
The cheese was great and went into cheeseburger soup. 
The buttermilk also went into the soup.
Then there is whey for pancakes and 
butter for fresh bread.

I have woken up my sourdough starter and it's getting nice and bubbly.
The picture is from when it was first brought out and fed. 
Tonight I'm going to try an overnight sourdough bread. 
I know that the sourdough starter gets better after a few days...
but I am not one to like waisting discard...
and bread is bread.  Even if it's a bit heavier then usual. 
I'm also thinking crackers.
What are you favourite kinds of crackers?


We are very much enjoying the little garden in our living room window.  
The tomatoes are almost ready to transplant in bigger pots. 
The lettuce and spinach are growing and I'm eager to taste them. 
We have been enjoying some radishes that have been growing quickly to. 

The sunflowers are growing well to and I'm looking forward to their cheerful blooms. 
I took my snakeskin plant out of it's big pot and divided it up. 
I ended up with five pots of it.  
Yes...I'm going to find new homes for a couple of those pots. 
One went into my daughter's bedroom. 
They're great for cleaning the air! 
Better air...better breathing...better sleep.



Then I'm always delighted with the fresh eggs I can buy from a neighbour. 
They come in all different colours and are so delicious! 
It is hard to see in the picture...but my favourites are the blue, olive, 
and brown eggs with the speckles on them. :)  
We were going to be picking up more eggs today so I boiled up a big pot of them. 
We like boiled eggs...and devilled eggs.
I've started to put pickles or relish in the mix and they taste so good. 


Thanks so much for dropping by! 

Love and Prayers,
Jennifer


6 comments:

Phoebes World said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phoebes World said...

You have been so busy...and you have done a few things I have been wanting to do for a while... like knitting cloths and having a sourdough starter. If there was ever a time...its now. Would you mind sharing the knitting pattern?
Thank you for the inspiration
Phoebe x

Linda Shukri said...

Your projects are wonderful! Love all your plants. I do have some snake plants I purchased recently to clean the air in my house. :-) Plus I have an English ivy and a golden pathos. Those are also clean air plants. My snake plants are in tiny pots when I bought them. I need to re-pot them in larger ones soon. I'm also thinking of getting a terrarium for my kitchen counter.

I've been wanting to do an overnight bread, but haven't gotten around to it yet. My grandmother used to knit washcloths. My mom used to knit and crochet a lot many years ago. And sew. And do lots of canning, etc. That's how I grew up. My mom is almost 91. Right now she focuses on doing jigsaw puzzles, weeds the garden a little bit when she has energy, and does a little bit of painting (watercolors). She lives with my sister in SC where I am now living (40 minutes away).

Thanks for sharing all your projects! I haven't made crackers either, but I always loved Crown Pilot crackers by Nabisco. They were a New England favorite - where I'm from. :-) They're also discontinued. A chowder cracker. I miss them greatly but maybe I should make some myself. I'll look for a recipe online. I used to visit my aunt who lived next door to us while we kids grew up. We'd have tea and Crown Pilot crackers (they are large crackers - look them up online) with butter on them. YUM!

mamasmercantile said...

A joy to see all the plants. We have just made a start on setting the seeds. I am a fan of knitted/crochet cloths a wonderful addition to the kitchen and bathroom. Stay safe.

Annie said...

I love making my own dish cloths as well. I don't know how to knit very well but I do know how to crochet so I crochet mine. I always have a nice big stack on hand.

I love seeing all your little veggies growing! I can't wait to see your garden in full swing. My husband and I are "breaking ground" for my little garden today.

I hope and pray you have a beautiful Easter!

Love,
Annie

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

That's how I learned to knit - washcloths. And now I can't live without them. So I'm always knitting a few between other projects. My sisters also love them, so I often add them to gifts I give them.
Enjoy the rest of your week,
Andrea