Wednesday 22 November 2017

Soup and Biscuits for a Cold Day


Hello!  Do you like to make soup and biscuits for your family on a cold day?

I do, and we eat a variety of soup.  The favourite being chicken noodle.
I make my soups from scratch other than tomato soup...and I buy cans of it.  

This time I made a cream of potato soup.  It's so easy and filling. 
I just dice up a bunch of potatoes and add to a mostly full pot of water.  
Then I add diced carrots.  Onions/ leeks from the freezer (from our garden). 
A few diced pieces of celery from the garden to.  
Then I add a couple organic bullion cubes (chicken flavour) and let it simmer until the vegetables are almost cooked.  Then I fill a big measuring cup up to the 1 cup mark (or so) with flour.  
I fill the rest of the measuring cup up with whipping cream (about a cup) and stir until the flour is combined with the cream.  Then I slowly whisk it into the hot soup.  At this point I add the salt and pepper.  I stir until the soup is hot, bubbly and thickened.  

Now it's ready to pull the biscuits from the oven. 
Spread with butter and a slice of cheese to go along with the soup. 


All this is great on a cold day!  
This day it was ~ -30C and the sun was shining so brightly!  
The birds outside were fluffed up into balls as they fluttered about between the feeders and the shelter of the trees.  


We were all wrapped up inside warmed by our wood stove.  

What a blessing a cozy home and good food is!  God is good! 

Praying you have a wonderful day! 

Sharing with Raising Homemakers



3 comments:

Danielle Dunn said...

I love soup and biscuits together and that soup was a new favourite. :)

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Such a rich hearty potato soup that you made! I love to make soups as well. Today we ate turkey soup from the carcass bone broth that I made from our Thanksgiving turkey. I have been adding brewer's yeast to soups instead of chicken bouillon, and it adds amazing flavor! I found a recipe in an Amish cookbook, and made my own powdered chicken bouillon with the brewers yeast being the main ingredient. It gives amazing flavor to any chicken based soup. Soup and biscuits are a favorite at our house too, and we always save a little room in our tummies for a bit of jam on the biscuits at the end of the meal. Yum yum! -30 C degrees, wow, that is COLD! Glad you are all warm with the wood stove :)

Mrs. U said...

Your soup looks amazing! I always love trying new soup recipes!! I'll have to make this very soon!!

His,
Mrs. U