Monday 14 August 2017

Yum Pickles!


Hello! I hope you are having a great day!  

With the last of summer comes some canning here in my house.  We made some pickles to add to the pantry.  We made some sweet pickles and some dill pickles.  


For the sweet pickles we cut up nice little slices.  

I couldn't grow enough cucumbers in my garden this year for pickling, and the Lord provided some for us through the grocery store.  They rarely have pickling cucumbers and this week as I walked into the produce section there they were sitting on a cart.  We are friends with one of the produce men and he helped us by opening up boxes and helping us to select some of the best ones.  SO very thoughtful he was.  


We also cut some cucumbers up into spears for the dill pickles.  The cucumbers were way to big to pickle whole.  


We bought some fresh dill. Then added sprigs of dill and some garlic cloves to the jars before adding the cucumbers and brine.  

I've also learned to make the brine for the pickles... thanks to my parents.   It is wonderful to learn these kinds of skills from your parents, or grandparents....passing down the information.  


My favourite are the sweet pickles!  

My daughter's favourite are the dill so we made lots of each.  


Do you like pickles?  Have you made your own?  Do you use a family recipe?

A wonderful addition to the pantry that will make us smile in the winter.  

Thank you for taking the time to drop by! Praying you have a blessed day!




10 comments:

Katy said...

We like dill pickles here! :)
I didn't make pickles...but my daughter and Mother-in-Love did! They canned over 50 jars! :) Yours look fantastic!

Esther Asbury said...

Brings back memories of my childhood....canning with my mom and sister. Your pickles look amazing!

Danielle Dunn said...

It was fun most of the time...other than smelling the brine lol or getting tired of cutting of all those cukes!

God's Grace Overflows said...

Awe...pickles!! I like both, dill and sweet! Haven't made them in years. Cucumbers haven't been very tasty this year, maybe I'll make some next year. ;)
Yours look delicious! Enjoy!!

Have a delightful week my friend!
Hugs, Amy

God's Grace Overflows said...

Awe...pickles!! I like both, dill and sweet! Haven't made them in years. Cucumbers haven't been very tasty this year, maybe I'll make some next year. ;)
Yours look delicious! Enjoy!!

Have a delightful week my friend!
Hugs, Amy

God's Grace Overflows said...

Awe...pickles!! I like both, dill and sweet! Haven't made them in years. Cucumbers haven't been very tasty this year, maybe I'll make some next year. ;)
Yours look delicious! Enjoy!!

Have a delightful week my friend!
Hugs, Amy

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

This sure brought back memories! My dad used to do dill pickles. He had a big old crock that would sit underneath the kitchen table. It had no lid so he put a dinner plate on it weighed down with a brick haha! I loved those pickles. I've never done them myself and unfortunately because of the salt we have to stay away from them. Silly question -- are the sweet ones without salt altogether?

Pam said...

You have been busy. Those look amazing. I love dill and bread and butter. Made both...ONCE. Never had a garden after that. Great job.

September Violets said...

Don't pickles just look beautiful in the canning jars? What a lot of work you have done! We all love pickles here, but no one makes them. My mom supplied us with sweet (Bread & Butter) and spicy (Nine-Days) for so many years that I never even bothered to learn. I regret that now of course, but it always just looked like such a hot and heavy process that I never have tried.
Wendy

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

My mom always made mustard pickles, and bread and butter pickles, which I have never made because my family prefers dill pickles. I have enough cukes from my garden now that I can make up a batch of dill pickles. How wonderful that you found the cukes at the grocery store and that you were able to pick through and get the nice ones. It is such a satisfying thing to put away food for the winter :)