Monday 24 July 2017

Flowers for the Bees


Hello!  Today I'd love to share with you about some of the flowers in my yard.  Every year I say that I won't plant so many, and then I can't resist all the colour and the smells.   


This first flower is a special one.  A beekeeper in my neighbourhood gave me some seeds to plant some flowers for the bees.  My Malva isn't flowering just yet, but the phacelia has just started to open it's blossoms this week.  


It smells just amazing and the bees have now discovered them and are enjoying them.  
They are so delicate and lacy, and the blossoms open as the spiral unfurles. Like a special flowering fern. 




Then there are the wild roses that the Lord has provided, and the scent of them drifts around the yard on the gentle breezes. 


The wild fireweed is flowering in our yard now, and they are all a hum with the sound of bees...mostly the big bumble bees. 


There are roses that line a good portion of the walking trail we have around our yard.  


Our fireweed forest as we call it, is just getting started.  They grow so prolifically in the yard that we actually have to prune them back. Well, after all; they are a weed.  


I bought this lobelia on a whim and I'm so glad.  The bees are ever coming to check out the flowers here.  


I moved up some flowers to the one deck we have, and the bees love it here.  I hope that the bee balm flowers this year to, and joins in nursing the local bees.  


I have lots more flowers that I could post...the colours capture my heart in the summer, and I'm so ever grateful to the Lord for blessing me with them!  

Do you have special flowers for the bees?  I love bees in the garden, like a special part of it's eco system.  Benefiting the growing vegetables, and causing hours of splendid entertainment to the kids as they fly from flower to flower.  

I hope you are enjoying your summer! Thanks for dropping by!




8 comments:

Danielle Dunn said...

pretty flowers ;)

God's Grace Overflows said...

Oh gosh, the bees love all our flowers!
We have sunflowers, hollyhocks, marigolds, cosmos, roses, four o'clock and the list goes on...
All your flowers ate pretty and I bet you have Happy Bees!!

Enjoy your week my friend!

Hugs, Amy

God's Grace Overflows said...

*all your flowers are pretty, not ate. Sorry, sometimes I type without proofreading! Ha!

living from glory to glory said...

Your flowers are really pretty and I love the color purple with flowers and any color of roses! I used to keep bees many moons ago, but after a few years of drought they all died out. But I do try to always have water available for the beezzzzz
Hope you are well and enjoying the kids and all the summer fun!!
Hugs, Roxy

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

You have a beautiful collection of flowers in your garden! I have never seen that beautiful purple flower that your bees love, I will have to ask my local nursery about it. Isn't it wonderful that weeds can produce flowers that we can enjoy too, even if they have to be cut back, lol!

Margie said...

Purple is my favourite colour so I'm loving the pretty flowers in your garden. I have a rose of sharon bush that attracts bees.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

These are beautiful! And so unusual -- love all the variety! I have phlox that grows and smells so fragrant and the bees as well as the butterflies love it! I bring bouquets in the house most of the summer -- it's a wonderful flower that blooms from July through late August!

handmade by amalia said...

I'm a little behind with my blog reading but still in time to admire your flowers.
Amalia
xo